Unsafe Foods for Pets
Author: Christine, of Crittery Exotics
Some animals, such as Degu are sugar intolerant and will have a more restricted diet. Dormice species such as African Pygmy Dormice lack a cecum and so cannot digest vegetable matter. This list is not exhaustive and is intended as a general guide for dangerous foods.
- Blue cheese
- Citrus fruit such as Oranges, Lemon, Grapefruit. Can cause kidney damage.
- Dark chocolate tiny amounts may be beneficial in hamsters but best avoided until this is fully evidenced. Milk chocolate is not okay.
- Dried corn
- Grapes there is a link to renal failure in dogs and therefore many keepers avoid.
- Junk food don't share snacks, junk food or processed items with your pets.
- Mango can cause kidney damage.
- Meat Fatty meats such as beef are not safe for many rodents. Depending on the cooking method, chicken, turkey and salmon are okay. Mince is safe and loved by Tenrecs.
- Poppy seeds
- Raisins there is a link to renal failure in dogs and therefore many keepers avoid.
- Raw veg some raw vegetables such as potato, sweet potato, cabbage, brussel sprouts are dangerous to your pet.
- Raw peanuts
- Rhubarb leaves and raw rhubarb.
- Uncooked/dried beans contains toxic hemaglutin